At Central coast chiropractic our first step to managing your problem is to perform a thorough history and examination.
Very often, back pain involves irritation to nerves, ligaments, muscles and tendons. While for some people back pain is little more than discomfort, for others it can leave them incapacitated. Back pain is one of the most common reasons for visiting a chiropractor.
Back pain can result from a number of factors. While some cases of back pain originate from injury or accidents, one of the more common causes is stress to the joints, discs and muscles which accumulates from day-to-day activities, such as:
- Bending and lifting
- Poor posture
- Sitting down for extended periods of time
- Sleeping incorrectly
Chiropractic aims to restore and maintain the normal function of your spine. Chiropractic care coupled with a self-care plan of exercise and stretches may very often assist in providing relief.
There are some things you can do to help minimise the risk of relapses, or to reduce the severity of your pain.
Some useful tips include:
- Avoid sudden movements, twisting or sharp movement while in pain.
- Maintain a healthy posture.
- Make sure that your workspace is ergonomically designed. This includes things like a supportive chair, a well-placed computer monitor and a workstation layout that doesn’t require a lot of twisting and turning.
- Sleep on a supportive mattress.
- Engage in regular exercise. (seek advice from your health care practitioner)
- Low-impact exercise such as walking or swimming may help.
- When exercising, ensure you correctly warm up and cool down every time.
- Wear comfortable flat or low-heeled shoes.